01244 500 195 Mon - Fri, 8am - 5.30pm




CIS (Self-employed) – FAQs

If you are not already signed up for the Construction Industry Scheme or want to know what it involves, then please read the following FAQs to make sure you understand how CIS works.

You should find the answers to most of your questions here, but if you have more questions about how to go self-employed with an umbrella company such as ours, then please do call us on 01244 563 133. We’d be happy to help.

I’m thinking of becoming self-employed. What should I do?

The construction industry has its own scheme for people who want to become self-employed, called CIS, or the Construction Industry Scheme. To apply, you should contact your local HM Revenue and Customs office for your Unique Tax Reference (UTR) and to let them know that you intend to work on a self-employed basis. You should also call the CIS Helpline on 0845 366 7899 to let them know that you are working within the Construction Industry Scheme.

How do I pay tax and National Insurance?

You should pay your Class 2 National Insurance each week directly to HMRC. Call them on 0845 915 4655 to make the arrangement or visit their website www.hmrc.gov.uk. You will then need to pay Class 4 National Insurance via your annual self assessment tax return.

Do I get holiday pay if I’m CIS?

As you are self-employed, and not an employee or worker, you do not qualify for holiday pay. You also have no entitlement to sick pay or paternity/maternity pay from us, but you may qualify for payments from the government.

How do I claim expenses if I am registered CIS?

You claim your business expenses when you make your annual self assessment tax return. Please remember that HMRC may ask to inspect your records at any time so you must keep all your expense receipts for up to six years.

What is self assessment?

This is when you file your tax return for any income you have received from self-employed earnings or other sources during the year. You must file your self assessment form on or before 31 January after the end of the relevant tax year, which runs from 6 April to the following 5 April. In your return you must declare all your income and claim any business expenses incurred during the same tax year, and if you miss this deadline you will be fined.

HMRC calculates the amount of tax you owe based on your personal taxable profit. The monthly on account payments we make for you will offset the tax you owe so you may receive a tax refund if tax deducted is greater than the amount owed.

If you need accountancy advice, we can recommend our specialist accountancy firm, Exchequer Accountancy Services, and organise a discounted fee for you. Please visit http://www.exchequeraccountancy.co.uk/ for more details.

What are your margins when I work for you on a CIS basis?

Our margins are easy to understand, visit our  page for full details.

How long do I have to stay with you?

You can work for us for as little as just one day or even less, but of course we hope you will choose to work with us for longer.

Please contact us if you have any other questions.